If you have a large collection of necklaces, you've probably dealt with being in a hurry to finish an outfit when you realize your favorite necklace is tangled up.
The first time you encounter this situation, you ignore it to save time and move on to another piece of jewelry. But the next time you want to wear that jewelry, you run into the same unresolved issue.
Over thirty years of experience, we have learned that jewelry pieces are delicate and must be handled with care. The friction created in tangled necklaces threatens the integrity of their material.
If you want to learn how to untangle a necklace to extend its life, you can find all the insight from Heidi Daus on this blog.
Table of content:
- Take a Sheet and Paper to Write Down the Materials You Need
- Hands to Work: The Tricks and Tips to Untangle a Necklace
Take a Sheet and Paper to Write Down the Materials You Need
Before you begin untangling your necklace, gather your supplies. Take a sheet of paper and write down the following items we recommend using for the task:
- A small cup or dish with a flat surface in case small pieces of your necklace fall out.
- A paper clip, needle, or anything sharp that can reach the tight spots.
- If the knot is too tight, you will need to use an oily liquid to release it. Since it is gentle and nonabrasive, mild soap is a good choice for cleaning fine jewelry and preventing knots.
- Paper towel to clean up the jewelry after finishing.
Hands to Work: The Tricks and Tips to Untangle a Necklace
The process of untangling a necklace is simple but requires delicate hands. Below are the necessary steps to get your necklace looking like new again.
- Begin by locating the necklace's end. This will be the starting point for untangling.
- Start gently easing the knots with one end of the paper clip, sewing needle, or toothpick when you've reached the end.
- If you encounter a particularly tight knot, apply one drop of mild soap to the knot to aid in loosening. You can reapply if you feel like it’s necessary.
- When you see that all the knots have been loosened, gently pull them with your finger. You must be careful with this step to avoid breaking the necklace.
- Be patient and continue loosening the knots until you detangle.
After this last step, it's just a matter of time before you see your necklace in pristine condition again.
One More Piece of Advice From the Heidi Daus Team
Untangling a necklace may require the assistance of a professional team specializing in fine jewelry in some cases. Heidi Daus strives to assess our clients with their jewelry to provide a better experience.
Heidi Daus is synonymous with high-quality jewelry and exceptional customer service. Place your order online right now!